Weeks ago I wrote a rant about Lego inwhich I questioned why the Lego Friends line is so drastically different from the standard Lego toys. I also shared how I didn’t know Lego came in kits until I was in middle school. The reason for my ignorance being the Legos in my household were almost entirely hand-me-downs from my brother who had long since mislaid the instructions for the the 1980s era Space Cruiser Warner Bros. recently reminded us of in The Lego Movie.
My brother, clever young man that he is, found the instructions on the Internet and shared them with me challenging me to build the Space Cruiser.
My first challenge was finding our old Lego collection. As stated in my earlier post, a time came when my mother took the remaining Lego bricks and tossed them all into a plastic bin that previously had been used for transporting cupcakes, mixing and commingling what was left from all the kits that had ever entered her children’s lives.
Finding it turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. Since all the grandbaby moved out of their house, my parents have relegated all the toys to one corner of the family room. The bin was under a table chest in the corner along with the puzzles, blocks, and Lincoln Logs.
Challenge Two: Uncover what’s left of the figures.
The Spacemen have long since lost their faces. One of them used to have a mark where a face once was, but now they are entirely missing. (The Policeman was from a kit I got as a child, therefore has been handled the least and still has his face.) The Spaceman logos on their chests are all but entirely gone. Out of five figures there are four hands between them; one head and helmet are long gone; and the figure not pictured, in my memory, has always had only one leg.
Once I determined I had most of the pieces I’d need to build the Space Cruiser,
it was time to get down to business.
The Instructions were really sort of difficult to follow some of the time. It certainly didn’t help they were smallish images on the computer rather than a paper I could handle and get close to without feeling like I’d done something terrible to my eyes.
Slowly it started to come together.
Despite the pieces being a minimum thirty years old a surprising number of them in very good condition. The thrusters, for example, still look great!
The pieces in poor condition are primarily the pieces you’d expect to be in shambles after cycling through five children and a couple of grandbabies. The pieces that attach the thrusters to the back of the ship, for example, look like this:
Hinged pieces, they were meant to attach to the top of the back with these bits hanging down, onto which the thrusters would attach. Alas, they’ve been broken most of my life. Therefore, the Space Cruiser must go without it’s thrusters.
Quite frankly, I had to get real creative with multiple parts of the ship. I borrowed from other parts and substituted many pieces where I could get away with it. I had to rebuild various parts more than once, and get creative with broken parts.
In the end, it didn’t turn out so badly.
Still had plenty of missing pieces; I couldn’t get around not having one entire section of that windscreen. I’m afraid it wouldn’t be a very effective Space Cruiser, but as it doesn’t have any thrusters, it’s not like it’s going anywhere anyway!